This cake is inspired by Tea with Bea's ULTIMATE chocolate buttermilk cake, which is so chocolatey, it might eclipse the sun.
This is not, I repeat, not a healthy cake. This is a CHOCOLATE CAKE. You want to be healthy? Eat some celery. Now, pass the bars and let's get cracking...
Chocolate Chilli Cake
You will need:
For the cake:
- 200g good quality dark chocolate
- 65g cocoa powder
- 175g butter
- 4 free-range eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 225ml milk
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 1 nutmeg
- White chocolate, to decorate
For the icing:
- 100g good quality dark chocolate
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 25cm cake tin.
- Chop the chocolate roughly and place in a bowl with the cocoa powder.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Pour the butter over the chocolate and cocoa, stirring until smooth and combined. (Try not to drool so much).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and caster sugar, then pour into the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Add a quarter of it to the chocolate mixture, and fold in gently, followed by a quarter of the milk. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Add the finely diced chilli, and grate a quarter of a nutmeg into the mixture. (1/2 tsp if you're using ground nutmeg). Stir to combine.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the cream without allowing it to boil.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place in a bowl.
- When the cream is hot, pour over the chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- Stir in the golden syrup. Cover and chill in the fridge for up to an hour, until it has reached the desired consistency.
- Using a pallet knife, smooth all over the sides and top of the cake.
- Decorate with freshly grated nutmeg and white chocolate.