Shortbread is one of those things which should always be around. But wait! Don't run to the corner shop for one of those bargain multipacks! Satisfy your biscuity cravings by making them yourself. Honestly, we love them here at DSHQ, mostly because knocking up a batch is super simple.
However, since butter is a pretty large part of a shortbread's genetic makeup, what to do if you're lactose intolerant or avoiding dairy? No answers on a postcard, please: we've done it for you. Coconut oil chocolate shortbread cookies, at your service.
Dairy Free Chocolate Shortbread (makes 12-14 cookies)
You will need:
- 120g coconut oil, room temperature
- 50g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g plain flour (plus 1heaped tbsp)
For the topping:
- 100g good quality dark chocolate, melted (check the label for any lactose content)
- Flaked almonds, to decorate
- Beat the coconut oil until creamy, to remove and lumps.
- Beat in the sugar and vanilla, along with 2 tbsp water.
- Add in the flour and bring together into a soft dough. If it's looking a bit stiff, add in a little more water.
- Sprinkle a sheet of baking parchment with flour and place the dough in the middle, shaping it into a long sausage about 2 inches across.
- Wrap up and put in the fridge for around 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4. Using a little coconut oil, grease and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- When it is firm, slice into 1/2 inch slices and place on the prepared baking tray, leaving an inch between.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through cooking so they bake evenly.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
For the middle and topping:
- Melt the chocolate in a Bain Marie or in 20 second blasts in the microwave.
- Leave to cool until the texture thickens slightly.
- Toast a handful of flaked almonds by tossing them in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until golden. (Watch that they don't burn!)
- Splodge half a teaspoonful of melted chocolate on the underside of one cookie, then sandwich another on top.
- Drizzle with more chocolate, and decorate with some toasted flaked almonds.