Most of the things I create in the kitchen can be described as 'thingy'. As in 'can you make that potato thingy tonight?' or 'I haven't got much in the fridge, I'm going to make a chicken thingy for tea'. Thingy is my favourite thing to cook. This is a cobbled together chicken thingy and it's excellent. It's sticky and spicy and a giant hug of a thingy and it will make your crappy day at work vanish completely. I used drumsticks but you could use breasts or thigh. Keep the skins on, they crisp up a treat.
Spicy orange and honey chicken thingy (serves 2 with rice, but doubles up easily)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 2 tbsp marmalade
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (use tamari if you want to keep this recipe gluten free)
- 4cm ginger, grated
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- Drizzle of honey
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Mix up your ingredients and pour over your chicken drumsticks, covering them as much as possible.
- Pop in the oven for 20 minutes and then turn halfway through.
- Spoon some more of the sauce back over them before popping them back in the oven.
- Check them again after 15 more minutes, when the skins are crispy and golden and the juices are running clear they're done.
- Serve with a giant pile of white rice, making sure you pour some of the orangey sauce over the top.