Struggling for Easter day meal inspiration? We've got it covered and tied up with a big Easter bow. This 'pulled lamb' is a more casual way of enjoying the traditional roast lamb, and it's much cheaper than buying the leg. It can be piled into burgers, you can go Moroccan and team it with apricot couscous and toasted almonds, or serve it with typical roast dinner accoutrements. It has a spicy crust and is meltingly tender inside, so much so that you can pull it apart with forks rather than slicing it. It takes a day worth of cooking time, so I suggest putting it the oven when you go to bed. There's no better alarm clock than the smell of pulled lamb. I made a spring slaw to go with mine which is nice because it's pretty and feels fresh and celebratory.
Pulled Spring Lamb with Slaw (serves 3)
Preparation Time: 5mins
Cooking Time: 10 - 12 hours
- 1/2 tbsp cardamom pods, seeds only
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- /2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1kg lamb shoulder (bone in)
- salt, pepper and sugar
For the Slaw:
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated or cut into matchsticks
- 3 spring onions, shredded
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- a handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- a handful of dill, roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Blitz all the spices together with the sugar and salt either in a food processor, spice grinder or pestle and mortar, so you have a fine spice rub.
- Rub the lamb all over with the spices.
- Lay the lamb on a trivet in a roasting tin. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 10 - 12 hours.
- Remove the foil and turn the heat up to 220C/425F/Gas7 and cook for 10 minutes - this forms a nice crust.
- To serve 'pull' the meat apart with forks.
For the slaw:
- Mix together all of the shredded salad ingredients and sprinkle with about 2 tsp of sugar and 1 of salt. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for a couple of hours to get rid of any bitterness.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the juice and zest of the lemon and mix into the slaw.