Not in Italy. When you order it there you get something quite different. You get a thick, dark custard-like mass of silky chocolate liquid. I say liquid, it's actually so thick, it's more like pudding. You can see why I'm liking Italy so much.
Having wanted pudding the other night, and with no means to make it — I made this out of cupboard stuffs and my cravings were satisfied... and then some. If you like a bit of salt with your sweet, sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt on the top.
Italian Hot Chocolate (serves one)
Preparation Time: 1 min
Cooking Time: 3-5mins
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (the dark stuff)
- 2 heaped tbsp sugar
- 280ml whole milk
- 25g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces (this isn't essential)
- 1 heaped tsp cornflour
- Put the milk, cocoa and sugar in a pan and heat. When warm, add the chocolate and whisk all together.
- Mix the cornflour with a little milk to a smooth paste, then add it to the chocolate milk.
- Keep whisking until it thickens, which should take a few minutes. As soon as it's thickened it's ready.