Thursdays are the day I'm most likely to be eating a ready meal from M&S and not giving a damn. It's getting to be an expensive habit. Instead, a fast dinner with bits and bobs that I'm likely to find in the back of the fridge is my compromise.This chicken dish is the perfect 'what the hell am I going to have for tea?' dinner. It's simple, it's cheap, it's quick and it tastes brilliant.
Chicken with mushrooms (serves 2 with salad or greens)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts or boneless thighs
- 300g mushrooms, destalked
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 glass white wine
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 sprigs fresh thyme
- A bit of chopped parsley for garnish, it's tasty but it's a very brown dish.
- Season and brown the chicken on all sides in a large pan,
- Throw in the mushrooms and turn down onto a low heat.
- As they're softening, add the garlic and thyme and pour on the stock and white wine.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid has formed a rich sauce.
- Sprinkle on the parsley and serve alongside a simple salad or buttered greens. Or all of the carbs, depending on how your day has gone. (It tastes great with lentils mixed into the stock.)
- Settle in front of the telly with the rest of the bottle of wine.