Cherry Cola Cupcakes (Makes 12)
You will need:
For the cupcakes:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 120ml milk
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 125g butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 175ml coca cola
- 100g ripe cherries
For the froth frosting:
- 200g icing sugar
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp coca cola
- 20ml milk
- Fizzy cherry cola bottles and cherry sweets to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease and line a 12 hole cupcake tin.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl, along with the milk, yoghurt and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over a low heat, melt the butter together with the cocoa powder and coca cola.
- Allow to cool for a minute or two, then pour over the flour mixture, stirring until just combined and there are no streaks of flour showing.
- Stir in the egg mixture until the batter is completely blended.
- Core the cherries and quarter them. Stir gently into the mixture.
- Pour into the cupcakes cases, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and a skewer comes out completely clean.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack until ready to frost.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until no lumps remain.
- Beat in the coca cola and milk until light and fluffy. (Don't skimp on this bit: a good beating will make the icing look like coca cola froth!)
- Fill a piping bag with the frosting and pipe a swirl onto the top of each cake, decorating with whatever sweets you haven't already eaten.