With the aid of a UV torch, a bottle of tonic water with its magic quinine, you can create tiny booze filled lamps that simultaneously chill and suspend your drink in a blue glowy light (just don't forget to freeze your glasses the night before.)
Finally there's the garnish. This is a short drink and it warrants gentle sipping. Nothing makes sipping more interesting than the Heston-endorsed answer to all problems ... popping candy. So, switch on your UV lights, pour, and serve just in time for the time-bending action to start.
The Sonic Screwdriver (serves 1)
- 50ml Vodka
- 25ml Blue Curacao
- 25ml Lime juice
- Tonic Water
- Popping candy
- A squeeze of lemon juice
Prepare your glasses:
- The night before you want your drinks, pour tonic water into your chosen glasses until they're a third full and pop them (carefully balanced, on a box of fish fingers perhaps) in the freezer.
- When you're ready for your drinks, squeeze the lemon juice onto a plate and use it to coat the rim of the glass.
- Dip a finger into the curacao and wipe round the rim of the glass.
- Pour the pop rocks onto a saucer before dipping the rim of the glass into the pop rocks.
- In a shaker or large glass, mix the curacao, vodka and lemon juice.
- Pour into the centre of the glass avoiding the popping candy and serve with the UV light switch on.
- Sit back in wonder.