Caramel popcorn is the easiest thing in the world to make, and it's even easier to eat! Make sure that you let it sit in the oven for as long as you can (filling the kitchen with a decadent buttery smell) as that's what helps the caramel mix to soften and coat the kernels. They'll cool to a delicious crispy texture.
You can pop the corn in a saucepan using oil or just use microwave popcorn - just as good. Have a sugar thermometer to hand.
You will need:
- Plain popcorn - either a couple of bags of microwave or a big saucepan full of kernels
- 225g unsalted butter
- 400g brown sugar
- 150ml light corn syrup or Golden Syrup
- 2 tbsp unsulphured molasses
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 100g salted jumbo peanuts, chopped
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- Pop the corn then spread it out on a nonstick baking pan. Preheat the oven to the lowest temp, 130C/250G/Gas Mark 1.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the salt, sugar, syrup and molasses and heat to ‘Soft Ball’ stage on the candy thermometer, 235-240F, or 118-120C
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the salt, baking powder and vanilla extract - it will bubble up massively.
- Pour over the popcorn on the tray, incorporate all the kernels, scatter over the peanuts and sea salt to taste, put tray in the oven.
- Bake for 35-50 mins, removing it halfway through to stir and redistribute the caramel.