We're no strangers to the unlikely couple that is avo and choc, and anyone who has tried pairing them in one of our dairy or wheat free recipes will know that it's nowhere near as scary as it sounds.
This is a light and unusual pudding (great if you're having a Mexican night and have overindulged on the quesadillas) or could be used as a filling in a chocolate and chilli cake for an epic Day of the Dead Mexican Confection.
Chocomole (Avocado and Chocolate Pudding: serves 4)
You will need:
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 250ml whipping or double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g dark chilli chocolate or good-quality dark chocolate, extra to serve
- Scoop the flesh from the avocados and mash into a smooth paste, along with the lime zest and half a lime's worth of juice. If it still has a few lumps, you can push it through a sieve.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla, and whip together until stiff.
- Gently stir the avocado into the cream until well combined.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks, then stir into the cream mixture.
- Spoon into ramekins or glasses and serve immediately or chill in the fridge until ready to eat. Sprinkle with grated dark chocolate and lime zest to finish, and maybe a chocolate tuile or two for dunking...